Tigers Today, Leaders Tomorrow
At YMCA Tiger Academy, a free public school, we believe school should be more than a place to learn reading, writing and arithmetic. We approach the education of each child with a commitment to helping him or her grow in spirit, mind and body.
YMCA Tiger Academy focuses on rigorous academic standards, character development, personal and social responsibility and strong family involvement, while providing each child with a structured and nurturing learning environment. The learner-centered culture includes a 7 ½ hour school day (8:00 am – 3:30 pm) and a 195-day school year, with before and afterschool care available.
We opened our doors in 2009 and now serve Pre-K through 5th grade students. Through a unique partnership with the Johnson Family YMCA, our scholars enjoy enrichment opportunities and benefit from family support services.
The Tiger Difference
- Longer school day (8:00am – 3:30pm) and school year than traditional public schools
- Strong college focus from the first day students step into a classroom
- 1:1 student to technology device ratio
- Before and Afterschool care available
- Enrichment opportunities and family support services at the Y including a family membership for each student
- COVID-19 safety precautions enforced such as temperature and health questionnaire taken prior to entry, face masks, social distancing, rigorous cleaning and sanitation routine, HVAC UV light air purification system and more
YMCA Tiger Academy provides, not only a high-quality education for the children growing up in northwest Jacksonville, but the encouragement and support they need to succeed. For more information on Tiger Academy’s School Accountability Report, click here.
Now accepting applications for the 2021-2022 school year!
Watch: Team Tiger
Principal Charles McWhite
6079 Bagley Road
Jacksonville, FL 32209