Cognia Performance Standards
There is no one type of school. Nor is there just one approach to teaching and learning. Yet regardless of a school’s size, location, philosophy or education model, it benefits from intensive, ongoing diagnostic reviews of its work, carried out by knowledgeable, well-trained, independent reviewers.
That’s why the Cognia Performance Standards require each school to be reviewed in a way that is appropriate to its mission and purpose.
These Standards are research-based, comprehensive quality statements that describe conditions and factors that contribute to a quality educational experience and operational effectiveness. Our research confirms our beliefs that every school requires:
- stable governance, management, and leadership;
- a coherent course of study;
- a reliable system by which to assess students’ progress;
- instructors who have a clear understanding of what they aim to teach, how, and why; and
- access to the resources they need.
We recognize that these basic criteria can be met in any number of ways and that effective instruction looks very different school to school. No matter your method, style or philosophy, the Cognia Performance Standards provide direction for every institution.